Jesus is a leader
As the Good Shepherd in my life, I can tell you that He is always faithful to lead me forward, I’m just not always good at following Him. In John 10, Jesus echoes the Old Testament where it says that God is our shepherd…
He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. Isaiah 40:11 (NIV)
for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care. Today, if you hear his voice, Psalm 95:7 (NIV)
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Psalm 23:1-3 (NIV)
In John 10:30, Jesus declares, “I and the Father are One.” So, the shepherd of people in the Old Testament is the same one here in the gospels.
John chapter 10 is where Jesus says,
"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep” (John 10:11).
A careful study of this chapter helps us see the care Jesus shows the sheep who have been given to him as a shepherd – even to the point of costing Jesus His life. There are many benefits we get from this kind of shepherd but I want to emphasize one phrase that stands out to me.
The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. John 10:3 (NIV)
Jesus is a leader who knows you intimately.
He created you, He died for you, He sees you, He loves you, He is cheering for you, He forgives your sin, and He is ready to lead you.
Sometimes we don’t want to follow Jesus because we aren’t sure that the apparent destination He has chosen doesn’t match with what we want. We aren’t sure we believe that Jesus wants what’s best for us.
Where is Jesus leading you to?Jesus may be leading you back home to sort out some things.
- Jesus might be leading you look at some things in your heart that are harmful.
- Jesus may be leading you back home to sort out some things.
- Jesus often leads us back to where we veered off the path last time.
- Is Jesus leading you to take a risk or make a sacrifice of generosity?
- Is Jesus preparing you for a new assignment, or place of influence?
- Would Jesus lead you back to a person who has offended you to forgive them?
- Could Jesus be leading you to pour into someone you barely know?
- Do you need Jesus to simply lead you to place of quiet waters?
Will you give Jesus five minutes of quiet time today to simply ask Him to show you where He is leading you to?
Jesus is always leading, the question becomes are you willing to follow Him…
Join us this Sunday as we look at John chapter 10, Jesus the Good Shepherd